Service Pupil Premium

The Department for Education continues to provide the Service Pupil Premium to State Schools, Academies and Free Schools within England that have Service children on their school roll.

Service children are defined as Pupils in Year Groups Reception to Year 11 recorded as Ever 5 Service Child or in receipt of a child pension from the Ministry of Defence.

For the 2015-16 school year the Service Pupil Premium for Ever 5 Service Children will be £300.00 per Service child in Reception Year, through to Year 11, who is either Ever 5 service child FTE or in receipt of pensions under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and the War Pensions Scheme (WPS) provided the child(ren) is/are registered on the school roll before the next Schools Census is conducted.

If a school is not aware that a child has a parent in HM Forces, the school will not be able to claim the additional funds available, thus reducing the support the school is able to provide for its Service pupils.

All parents with children in state funded schools in England should ensure that the Head Teacher of the school is made aware of their child(ren)’s Service status, before the next Schools Census). The information recorded by schools regarding Service status is protected, and the data regarding individual children is not shared.

An “Ever 5 Service Child” means a pupil recorded on the January 2015 census who was eligible for the Service Child premium in 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-14 or 2014-2015, as well as those recorded as a Service Child for the first time on the January 2015 Census. Each pupil will only be counted once: for example, if a pupil on the January 2015 Census is recorded as a Service Child in January 2015 and on the January 2014 Census, they will only be counted as one Ever 5 Service Child for calculating allocations for the Pupil Premium Grant in 2015-16.


How do I tell the school that my child is a Service child?

Some schools ask parents to provide characteristic information including the Services Children Indicator for their children. If you are asked to provide this information please ensure that you indicate that your child is a Service child. If your school does not request this information please inform the school office that your child is a Service child, before 21st January 2016.

I don’t want to tell the school because my child may be singled out.

If the school is not aware that your child is a Service child the school will not be able to claim the additional funds available to help to provide additional support for your child.

Does this apply to the children of Reserve personnel?

No. The Service Pupil Premium is only being given for the children of Regular Forces personnel. Reservists are not subject to the same high level of mobility and are more likely to have support through being permanently settled in their community.

How can I find out what the Service Pupil Premium is being used for in my child’s school?

If you wish to know what the money is being spent on then you should approach school, either directly or through the Governing body.