The Physics department at SFX has the vision of upholding the spirit of the enlightenment. Our aim is to encourage young people to be excited by science, to value its importance to our social and economic wellbeing, and to feel confident in its use. We see the value in a representative, well-qualified scientific workforce.
Key Stage 3
Key Stage 4
- Term 1 Topics: Generating Electricity, Waves
- Term 2 Topics: Electromagnetic Waves, Motion
- Term 3 Topics: Forces, Work Energy & Momentum, Current Electricity
- Term 1 Topics:, Mains Electricity, Radioactivity, Energy from the Nucleus
- Term 2 Topics: Medical Application of Physics, Using Physics to Make Things Work
- Term 3 Topics: Using Magnetic Fields
Key Stage 5
- Term 1 Topics: Unit 1. Particles, quantum phenomena and electricity, Matter and Radiation, Quarks and Leptons, Quantum Phenomena, Unit 2. Mechanics, materials and waves, Forces in equilibrium, On the move, Motion and Force.
- Term 2 Topics: Unit 1. Electric Current, Direct Current, Unit 3 CAU Practical, Unit 2.Work, Energy and Power, Materials, Waves.
- Term 3 Topics: Unit 1. Alternating current. Exam preparation, Unit 2. Optics, Unit 3 CAU Exam. Exam preparation
- Term 1 Topics: Unit 4. Fields and Further Mechanics, Force and momentum, motion in a circle, simple harmonic motion, Unit 5. Radioactivity, nuclear energy, thermal physics, gases.
- Term 2 Topics: Unit 4. Gravitational Fields, Electric Fields, Capacitors Induction, Unit 5. Astrophysics (option module), Unit 6 CAU Practical
- Term 3 Topics: Unit 4. Magnetic Fields, Electromagnetic, Unit 5. Astrophysics (option module), Unit 6 CAU Exam, Exam Preparation
- Mrs F. Evans - Head of Department
- Mr S. Collins - Science Coordinator
- Mr J. McMillan
- Miss E. Gates
Key Stage 3:
Schemes of work in line with the National Curriculum
Key Stage 4:
GCSE Core, Additional Science & Physics (AQA)
AS/A Level Physics (AQA)
Out of Hours Activities:
As per NightOwl Timetable